Saturday, March 17, 2012

A New Approach


I'd like to try a new approach to updating this blog.  I've already posted so many of my favorites, and sometimes forget what is already on the blog.  I've also been a little less creative recently with a 4 month old baby who is still not consistently sleeping through the night.... so I think I'll post some highlights of our week's menu with links (as appropriate) to my posts of those recipes and include any new ones.

This past week we enjoyed:

1. Panko Breaded Tilapia
2. 3 non-traditional pizzas:
      Barbecue sauce, turkey and cheddar
      Refried Beans and cheddar topped with corn salsa and sour cream

      Peanut sauce (see below) with basmati rice, grated carrots and snow peas
3. Cheeseburgers and mashed potatoes
4. Grilled cheese on homemade rye bread with a fried egg on top
5. Hummus and homemade pita bread (to take to a potluck) 

Of course, these don't include the veggie sides, which this week were often simple salads or frozen veggies that I threw in the microwave.

I'm also going to try to remember to take pictures sometimes to include.  I guess I'll start with that next week since I completely forgot this past week.



Peanut Sauce

This is something I completely made up and I'm guessing on the quantities, and I'm sure it could be made a variety of ways.

2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
2 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of fresh ginger- grated
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
maybe a few drops of water

I start with the garlic in a tiny food processor, and then add the remaining ingredients.  This makes a really thick paste which is fine for the pizza application, but if you're using it as a sauce (like for stir-fry) I recommend thinning it with coconut milk.  You could also add honey, sriracha, scallions or even pre-made hoisin sauce.  

No comments:

Post a Comment